Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bookworm Wednesday

I have no explanation for not reading this incredible book before now, but I am so thankful a friend of mine lent it to me when we swapped books! To say I loved this book is an understatement, and it just might be one of my new favorites! I took advantage of our ideal weather (at the moment) here in the southeast and devoured this book one Sunday afternoon! I could NOT put this gem down and as I read, I continuously wrote down page numbers of quotes that I wanted to share with you; I ended up having two whole pages of quotes!! Im sure most of you have heard of this book or read it (because apparently I live under a literary rock), but if perhaps you have not had the privilege of reading Tuesdays With Morrie, then I insist that you MUST! So as not to spoil anything, I will just inform you that this is a story of hope, encouragement, and un-selfish love. The fact that this is a true story just blows my mind and it is a testimony worth every second of your time! There need to be some more "Morrie's" in this world.

I'll leave you with some of my favorite quotes and I promise I will try to limit them :)

"Love wins. Love always wins."

"The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it."

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to what gives you purpose and meaning."

"The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in. Love is the only rational act."

"Everyone knows they are going to die, but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently."

"Love is so supremely important. Love each other or perish. Without love, we are birds with broken wings."

"You can't substitute material things for love or for gentleness or for tenderness or for a sense of comradeship."

"Giving to other people is what makes me feel alive. When I give my time, when I can make someone smile after they were feeling sad, it's as close to healthy as I ever feel."

Ok that was a lot, but I could have put up a million more and this is just a tiny glimpse into the kind of man Morrie was. So many great words we could learn from!

No comments:

Post a Comment