Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Bookworm Wednesday


When I was younger, I loved nothing more than a good mystery and was an avid collector of the likes of Nancy Drew and The Boxcar Children. But as I got older, particularly when I moved to Savannah and lived by myself, mysteries (or anything, for that matter, that was suspenseful and jumpy) got put on hold. Now that I have my big, strong Mr. around, I've slowly eased my way back into the sleuth genre of novels, and stumbled upon a new series starring a mystery solving heroine by the name of Hannah Swensen. Devils Food Cake Murder is one of the last books in her series, but I picked it up at Books A Million the other day because it was on major sale (I'm thrilled that BAM has a huge sale section and collection of used books now) and I'd had one of her other books on my must read list, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm almost finished reading this one and I enjoyed it so much, I went and bought the first one in the series last night; these books are a very light read, not too scary and they have recipes at the end of each chapter! If you're in the market for a fun series for your summer reading and you love baking, these are a must in my book!

Tip: As you can tell from this picture, I read my novel for about an hour on the way out fishing on Sunday. Might I suggest if any of you have a notion of attempting such a thing, don't! It made me quite queasy once we stopped cruising to fish and I was curled up on the boat in the fetal position, like a rookie as MAC would say, silently willing the nausea to go away! 

Happy Wednesday and I'll leave you with this challenging and thought provoking quote I read on another blog recently (Sequins and Things): 

"Two things should define you. Patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything."



No comments:

Post a Comment