Tuesday, August 28, 2012

BBQ Chicken Nachos

It's no huge secret around my close family and friends that I have a love affair with food (especially when it involves anything at all to do with sweets). Since I haven't begun a new job yet, I have had the time to perform my wifely duties (I could get used to this staying home and cooking thing) and have dinner prepared for MAC when he arrives home from work. Last night I whipped up a meal full of chicken, nachos, cheese and salsa and it sure was delish! I enjoy trying out new recipes to broaden my cooking horizons and my goal is to one day be a top notch chef like my mom and MAC's grandmother. I just revel in the simplicity that goes along with everyone being gathered around the table, eating wonderful food and engaging in much laughter and conversation; I dream about the day we purchase a home and can house these types of "get together's". 

Sunday I had browsed through some old Southern Living magazines to get recipe ideas and I came across chicken nachos. That was a meal that seemed easy enough and one neither of us had eaten recently. As I skimmed that recipe and a few more on the internet, I sort of combined some steps and came up with my own recipe! I had a lovely time cooking up my concoction last night as I swayed along to Adele's Pandora station and drank a glass of wine! Hope you try these out and enjoy them as much as we did!
Before 

After

Ingredients:
3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded (I sauteed mine in a little olive oil and butter)
1 1/2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn
1 jar of your favorite salsa (I used Publix brand organic salsa)
1 package of mexican style shredded cheese (I used Publix brand)
1 bag of tortilla chips (I used Tostitos with a hint of lime)

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Combine chicken with the BBQ sauce and stir until combined
3. In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn and salsa. Mix well.
4. In a lightly greased 13x9" pan, make a layer of tortilla chips, then a layer of chicken, then a layer of salsa mix and lastly, sprinkle cheese on top (I have a cheese fetish, so I used half the bag on this layer). Repeat one more time.
5. Bake on 350 for about 10 minutes and serve with more tortilla chips and sour cream.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can substitute any other items like peppers or jalapenos (whatever your taste buds desire) into the salsa mix to make it uniquely yours. Bon appetit to you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment