Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Southernisms

Due to a slight hiccup in the technology realm, I have no pictures today; I know it's not "required" to show pictures every single day on a blog, but as much as I enjoy reading and writing, there's nothing like a good picture to capture the essence of a subject or topic. So since you have been robbed of a visual today, I decided to share with you a list of popular "Southern Sayings" that you can get pure enjoyment out of by simply reading (and possibly allow your imagination to conjure up some twangs and drawls as you scroll through these to get the full effect).

1. Well I never!
2. Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!
3. Bless your heart.
4. That child's been beat with a big ole ugly stick.
5. Nervous as a rooster in a hen house.
6. Dumber than a box of rocks.
7. Can't carry a tune in a bucket.
8. That'd make a preacher cuss.
9. On me like white on rice.
10. Running around like a chicken with your head cut off.
11. Counting your chickens before the eggs hatch.
12. He/she done bit off more than they can chew.
13. Barking up the wrong tree.
14. Two peas in a pod.
15. Wound up tighter than an eight day clock.
16. Hold your horses.
17. I do declare!
18. Aren't you a sight for sore eyes.

I interrupt this list for a random side note. This is one of my favorite southernisms and one that MAC said to me the other day as I had just woken up and walked into the kitchen. I must have stared at him in a delirious confusion, because he proceeded to say, "Ash it means I think you look good," where I then, still stupefied that he could possibly say such a sweet thing as I stand before him in a bedraggled t-shirt and bouffant hair, say,"I know what that term means silly, I was just taken aback, but thanks you sweet thing." It truly is the little things, and one of many, many reasons why I married this man.

19. Acting to big for your britches.
20. Proud as punch.
21. Dead as a door nail.
22. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
23. Once in a blue moon.
24. In high cotton.
25. Tell the truth and shame the devil.

Hope you enjoyed the list! Do you recognize these sayings or have any others you would add?! I'd love to hear your southernisms so do share if you have any. Have a blessed day y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment